Shiver me timbers - You've been had by a Porch Pirate!
So here's the scenario - You've finally pulled the trigger and ordered that item you've been wanting for almost six months. You researched it almost exhaustively beforehand on countless sites, read the reviews, consulted friends and family (on Social Media as well) and of course your significant other and you're 100% confident you made the right choice..Zero moment of truth stuff. Retailer says it should be delivered to your home on Wednesday between the hours of 8.27 am and 11.06 am and you know you're not going to be home..actually no one will. Oh well, it'll be fine, right? (insert trembling voice here).They'll leave it on the porch and all will be well.
Wednesday turns into Thursday and still no parcel. You call the retailer or carrier and ask when it should be arriving " Umm well Mrs Smith, according to our records the parcel was delivered on Wednesday at 10.53 am" So guess what?..In all likelihood you've been another victim of a type of theft that is massively on the rise. The dreaded "Porch Pirate" has made off with the item that not only did you invest time and energy on planning and researching, but also put a major dent in your wallet.
We all know that e-commerce sales and shipments are on the rise, and unfortunately with it comes an increasingly common way for criminals to make off (in most cases scot-free) with your parcel. In fact, one in five parcel deliveries fall victim, and with a median value of $250 per parcel theft, this equates to a serious amount of dollars. It's only when it happens to you that it really sinks in and as a result can significantly alter the ways you go about shopping online going forward.
Be Smart and Protect Yourself
So even though you've been victimized there are ways you can shop online that can help to mitigate this from ever happening again.
- Request a signature upon delivery from the carrier. Essentially the parcel will not be delivered unless someone is there to sign for it. (Usually at an added cost)
- Have the courier hold it at their depot if you know no one will be home during the estimated delivery times. (not the most convenient option as you're dealing with their opening hours which may not work with your schedule)
- Leave special instructions with the carrier to leave it someplace other than the porch that may be less conspicuous.."Underneath the wheelbarrow next to the bush by the garden shed?" Again, not the most convenient and potentially open to the elements.
- Invest in a security system complete with surveillance camera and advertise that it's there. No doubt it's great to see a HD video of a masked Porch Pirate walking away with your parcel but really, what is that going to help with?
- Enlist a neighbour to sign for a package if you're not going to be available. Only works if you're friends with your neighbours and can't be relied upon all the time. Your neighbours have lives too you know!
- Here's what we feel is the BEST ANSWER! Use a Smart Parcel Locker Solution like Parcel Port!
Smart Parcel Lockers - Parcel Port 101
So what is a Smart Parcel Locker? Essentially it's a structure that holds many slots of varying sizes located at convenient locations where you can direct your parcel to be delivered to. Just select a Parcel Port Smart Solutions location instead of your home address when you check out. Your parcel has it's own locker that only you can open, we'll send you a unique code to your smartphone when it has arrived, walk up, enter or scan the code on our large Smart Locker Solutions keypad, then the slot that has your parcel in it will open automatically so you know that it's yours. That's it! Our Smart Locker Solutions Centres are secure, monitored 24/7 and conveniently located so you can choose a location near where you live or work so pick ups on your time (and that's anytime day or night) are a breeze. You can even use us for product returns and for shipping your own items across Canada or to destinations on the other side of the globe - it's just as easy.
At Parcel Port, we have plans in the works to build the first community based Smart Parcel Locker Solutions Network in Canada. Not only serving urban centres but supplying rural and suburban hubs with Smart Parcel Locker Solutions that the whole community can be involved with. Fill out the Parcel Port contact us form below to get in touch with us, we're super excited and are really looking forward to hearing from you!
We'll help you discover how to give those Porch Pirates one less reason to visit your house.
The Parcel Port Team